Thursday, August 5, 2010

Paris

The Louvre
Fun Dinner with Marc and Julie!
Eiffel Tower
Arc de Triomphe
Outside looking at Musee d'Orsay
At our lunch place in Musee d'Orsay
On another tour bus!
Notre Dame
Sainte-Chapelle

I got the rest of the Munich pics up too!

We left Munich at 6:20 to get to Paris around noon. Mom and I were pretty tired and she was not a happy camper when I got us a little lost on the way to our hotel... whoops!

After recouping we got on the metro to go see Notre Dame and Saint Chappelle. I had never been to Saint Chappelle but studied it in class and was a little sad when the best windows were being restored. Still it was really cool and since the weather was bad we were glad to be indoors and it was faster to get in everywhere.

By this time it was evening so we had dinner at a restaurant looking at Notre Dame and had our third pizza of the trip. Mom was not digging the metro in Paris either, so of course the next day we were back on a bus tour! My third of this trip.

The next morning we slept in then went to get on the tour bus. We rode to the Louvre then walked to Musee d'Orsay and we got tickets there. After seeing the whole first floor my mom and I found their amazing restaurant that looks like Versailles on the second floor. We had a long lunch there and met a delightful Irish family sitting next to us. It was by far the best food I've eaten so far and being surrounded by my favorite art didn't hurt.

Next, back on the bus we went to the Champs Ellysee where my mom and I bought matching Gap Paris shirts (so presh) and then went to the Arc de Triomphe. There were a LOT of stairs so my mom wasn't happy when I told her there wasn't a lift. But we had a beautiful view and she got to see the whole Eiffel Tower for the first time.

Of course now my mom was dying to get to the Eiffel Tower so we went to the Trocadero and took some pictures before actually walking up to the tower. My mom enjoyed being by the Eiffel Tower but was exhausted at this point so we took a break and waited for Marc to call for dinner at his place.

He lives on New York Avenue right by the Seine and Eiffel Tower (yes, everyone can be jealous of him). Julie and him made us great food and it was so fun to see them after a year away. We stayed there for awhile and my mom made them take pictures which they had a big laugh about. They were very sweet to have us over because both are studying all of the time for the bar and have no vacation!! My mom and I were very appreciative and she loves their accents.

When we left it was close to 11 so we were able to watch the tower sparkle which my mom loved. Then we found a taxi to go back to the hotel and realized when we got back that we had no cash and could not figure out why! Nothing had been stolen, we were just out! Turns out, when we got back to the hotel we had spent it all and not realized it so our taxi driver was having to drive around to find us an ATM, whoops!

On our last day, back on the bus we went to Gallerie Lafayette! My mom has been wanting a Longchamp bag so we went to the fancy Printemps department store and had lots of fun browsing, not buying anything extra because we have an insane amount of souvenirs as of now!

We had lunch at Printemps then finished the tour with the Moulin Rouge and Sacre-Coeur. When we got back to our hotel, we bought more luggage for our souvenirs and repacked everything. Then we went for the night opening at the Louvre and got to see all of the great art without huge crowds.

It started raining so we took the metro back to our hotel area and.... ate BBQ... in Paris! My mom and I had a good laugh about the cowboys and indians/saloon decor and the menu that was a mix of wannabe Texas Roadhouse meets Paris cafe. It was perfect.

Now off to London!

1 comment:

  1. What a trip you all are having - can't believe all you two can pack in a day. It has sounded really great and BBQ in Paris - we never saw that! Be glad you are taking this trip when she can keep up with you. Can't wait to see all the pics when Melanie comes home and will miss not sharing them with you too but studying in Italy - how very cool! LOVE

    ReplyDelete